Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Chinatown Experiment

 


When I could walk, I used to go down to Chinatown, once a week at times. Usually, I would walk one way and take a bus, either on the return trip or going there. But walking started to get tiring eventually, and then I would take the bus all the time. Taking the bus felt relaxing and a breeze to what I was doing,

But times and incidents change, so I could not go downtown, period. I fell on my way, using a simple shopping cart for stability. (Something was up that I needed this aide!) My attempt was a disaster. My legs had no strength. I gave up. I could not walk. Weeks, months went by. Luckily, this was post-Covid and my deli was delivering. I started to get better and better, including my attitude toward my walking.

As I pushed myself to do exercises, both mental and physical, I tried to go to Chinatown again. This time I would take a taxi. I had my simple walker with me. This was last year, I had some success at the Silk Road Cafe, where I used do writing work and eat their dumplings, but no bus was readily available on the way back, so, being the big shot I think I am, I decided to walk. With my walker, of course. This had its challenges. Chinatown has very narrow streets, and there are lot of people, tourists and residents, so that walking those streets with a walker was no fun. But I went on and on. As I was getting very tired, I had to stop and rest. (The walker has a seat, but the New York streets can be tight, and the corners, with their plastic bumps, can be murder.) Nearing the place where I live in Stuy Town, I was so tried, I promised not to do something similar again. Nevertheless, I proved that if necessary, I could go all the way, tired or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Selling It?

I will probably try to sell my Miracle Mobility Electric Walker/Wheelchair. Yesterday, I took it for a ride around Stuy Town and almost fell...