Monday, August 7, 2023

Pride Mobility

 


Occasionally, I go to a YouTube website which is run by an attractive British woman with a bad operation at nine that left her needing a wheelchair and house alterations she had to make. People with a similar problem will find it valuable. Some of the posts are valuable even to me, who does not need (at this point; who knows?) a wheelchair. One of her interesting posts was about going on a sidewalk and the obstacles that people don't think about, but that anyone needing a mobility aide, does. Here in Manhattan, these obstacles can be great or troublesome. While the blog is interesting and even fun, she has lately become a proponent of "disability pride." This seems stimulated by the "pride" movements that are becoming popular now. Pride? I don't know anyone who is disabled or has mobility issues who would jump for joy (if they could) to be walking without the need for any mobility device. I don't think pride is at issue. One has a problem. One has to accept it and deal with it, and, if one can, make oneself better and the world around you. It is different than "pride."

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Now she is in the Barbie phase! So her hair is done like Barbie, and I think there is a wheelchair Barbie, too. This seems way too much chick for me (pardon the old word), but she is a chic and not a guy, so....

    ReplyDelete

Selling It?

I will probably try to sell my Miracle Mobility Electric Walker/Wheelchair. Yesterday, I took it for a ride around Stuy Town and almost fell...