Friday, August 11, 2023

Get Out Of The Way, Slowpoke



Though I am using a walker, I'm intrigued by an electric scooter. It seems there are many such scooters, from 700 dollars to below 3,000 dollars. The thing I have noticed is that some seniors tend to hunch over with their walker. Their back is not straight. Whereas an electric scooter obliges the person to sit straighter. Besides, and most important, the electric scooter does the walking, and that can be a joy for a person with mobility issues.

Some residents in Stuy Town, or their visitors, have electric scooters. A person with such a scooter will be able to open the building door, but with some energy. The middle door can be opened, too, but a Stuy ID card needs to be activated for this. In my building, one still has to open a door inside. The scooter, if it is normal, will fit into a Stuy elevator. 

Electric scooters can be too big for certain stores, however. I don't see taking an electric scooter into one of the small Chinatown cafes I used to frequent. A walker that I can fold, yes; an electric scooter, no.

The change of needing an electric scooter can necessitate a "learning curve." Oddly, I mostly never see a senior with an electric scooter. Mostly I see middle-aged persons or those in their twenties or thirties with such scooters. Money? Safety? Embarrassment? I don't know.  

And the city can be a pain-in-the-ass for anyone. Mobility scooters included....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Selling It?

I will probably try to sell my Miracle Mobility Electric Walker/Wheelchair. Yesterday, I took it for a ride around Stuy Town and almost fell...